Monday, August 27, 2007

Theater Review - MM Cinemas, Paseo San Pedro

Saturday night Emily and I walked up to Paseo San Pedro, the ritzy mall near our home. The movie theater there was finally open, after several delays and great anticipation on our part. We can walk to this theater in about 15 minutes. The next closest is a 30+ minute walk, not to mention that they shut down the Bennigan's Express! (Last week we found this out when we planned a gringo meal at Bennigan's - with Guiness! - followed by air hockey and a movie, only to have the first part crushed.)

The new theater is all VIP-style, with comfortable leather reclining seats and, so we discovered after we sat down, delivery service from the concession stands. The prices appear excellent: two paninis and drinks for $125 (pesos, 10 or 11:1 exchange rate, so maybe $12 US). Tickets were 75 pesos each, with assigned seats. The theater still had that "new car" smell from the leather seats! The seats may be a bit less comfortable than some of the other theaters, but I think it will take more experimentation to be sure. I've volunteered for that onerous duty, considering that matinées cost 35 pesos. It's a high cost, but in the interest of reporting, I guess I'll just have to endure it, somehow.


Movie Review - "Knocked Up"

I was hesitant to see Knocked Up based on the previews I had seen. Its humor seemed too typical, too sophomoric for me. I had, however, already rejected the other comedic option, "License to Marry" based on the reviews at Rotten Tomatoes. Knocked Up had rather favorable reviews, so I gritted my teeth, slightly, and went. I realize this review may seem a little late, but the movie just opened here.

Although there were points where I was a bit disappointed with it, the movie was very funny and Emily and I both enjoyed it. The language is, of course, very adult. Nudity is mostly confined to clips from other films, although there is a bit of flesh during the earthquake scene. Sex isn't particularly graphic, certainly less so than many other films of this type and rating (R). Honestly, most of the sex scenes are also humorous, so that sort of deflates any potential eroticism. There's quite a lot of recreational drug use as well, so the film certainly earned its rating. I was pleased to see Harold Ramis in the film; he's always been a favorite of mine. I expect those of you who have been through pregnancy and childbirth will appreciate portions of the film even more than we did (Curt, Cheryl - this means you). I prefer to see big special effects films in theaters and comedies and dramas on DVD at home, but either way, Knocked Up is worth it.

No comments: