Thursday, August 16, 2007

Evan Almighty

Emily and I went to see Evan Almighty (called Todo Poderoso here) recently. I'm not a big comedy film or (shudder) TV sitcom fan; I generally get annoyed with the stupidity of the plot lines and dialog. There are exceptions, but in general I avoid them. So it was with some slight trepidation that I went to this film. I had seen Bruce Almighty and enjoyed it, so I had some small hope.

I was pleasantly surprised. Although predictable in many parts, I found it very funny. As always, I found Morgan Freeman an absolute joy to watch. I can't think of a time I haven't enjoyed him on screen. I didn't find the religious message a massive, over-the-top bludgeon. It stuck to some very basic premises that few would find objectionable, other than the entire Old Testament Ark arc (so to speak) story. In summary, Emily and I recommend it.

My review of the VIP theater in Mall San Augustin, on the other hand, is not so good. We previously viewed Spider Man 3 in a VIP theater in another mall (Valle Oriente) and were impressed: leather reclining seats with foot-rests, small tables between groups of two seats, wide aisles, waiter service, etc. This theater had the seats and tables, but all food was sold in the lobby area. Admittedly it included a sushi counter, but not what we expected. (Don't ask me why sushi is so popular here. I have yet to figure it out.)

Our biggest complaint wasn't the seats, but the aisles: none were labeled! In order to find your seat (you purchase assigned seats in VIP theaters), you have to count the rows yourself! This resulted in a mild argument with a guy who was sitting in one of our seats. After recounting the rows a few times, he realized he was in the wrong spot, apologized, and moved. Heaven forbid you should walk into the theater when it's dark! Ridiculous!

No comments: