Thursday, August 16, 2007

One last post (for today)

I really only have time for one more quick post today, and then I really need to get some work done!

Bid List - Coming Soon!
We get our bid list next Monday. This will be the list of all available positions world-wide for which Emily can bid. We have to compose a list of our top 20 and submit them. We won't actually know where we're headed until October, with a departure of approximately July 2008. Everyone asks where we want to go. That's not an easy question. We have created a sort of "things we want" and "things we want to avoid" list, but not so much a "where we want to live" list. I've told Emily repeatedly that her career and happiness come first, me and the dog second and third (or perhaps that should be third and second). If serving in Iraq is what she wants and needs to do, I'll support her. If Canada is a better choice, I'll root for it. If she decides she really wants to learn Tagalog and serve in the Philippines, that's fine.

My only real need is for high-speed internet. It makes our lives so much easier and more enjoyable. We can keep in touch with friends and family via Vonage and email, take online college classes (we're both enrolled now), and order things online that we just can't find here. I listen to NPR on the web on a daily basis, both for news and music. Living without these opportunities would indeed be a step toward hardship. Don't get me wrong, I can live with less, but I'd much rather live without a lot of other things than internet at this point.

School update
I'm continuing to take classes toward a degree in Information Technology and a certificate in professional writing, which is likely to turn into an English degree down the road.

Emily has signed up for another graduate class. She has my pity. :-) This one only has one movie requirement (the last one had three): 12 Angry Men. I think I'll enjoy it.

Travel update
I'll be back in the States in October for a few days, but I haven't finalized my plans yet. I have a laboratory section for a Biology class on a Saturday and I will take the opportunity to visit friends and relatives while I'm back.

Writing update
I'm giving thought to participating in the National Novel Writing Month event this year. I'll have to watch my time carefully, though: school must come first. Even if I don't try it, I have committed to spending more time writing or reading books on writing (I have a small shelf of useful reference material) .

That's all I have time for today. As I've said before, and failed to do, I'm going to attempt to post more often. Honest!

No comments: