Friday, August 24, 2007

A new semester begins...

Sigh. It's that time again. I've now started another semester, 14 hours at the moment with a possible additional 3 credit class to be added (although I doubt it). I have a Biology class (with lab), Advanced Composition (first term paper since 1988 - eek!), Intro to Programming (yeah... I've only taken, oh, two or three programming classes at THIS college plus several at JMU and yet I have to take "Intro"? What a wise use of my money and time!), Physical Geography (okay, this one is mostly fun for me, but it will transfer elsewhere), and (drum roll, please) Student Development 100. What's that, you ask? It's a required class for new college students, particularly online students. What's that you say? Why yes, I have taken 31 credit hours of online classes in the past year and probably half a dozen other online classes previously, plus a couple years of classes on campus. Did I mention that my cumulative GPA is currently 3.92? I think I have the basic concepts down, thanks.

Sigh. Stupid required classes! Of two advisors, one for IT and one for English, one said "No problem, I'll waive the Student Development requirement - you're obviously past that point." The other one said I could test out of the class... if I flew back and visited the campus. Yeah. It's cheaper to take the course.

One day soon I have to force myself to do something I pledged to do last semester... and over the summer: take a math assessment test. It's been so long since I've taken a college math course that it's required. Scary thought. I'll probably test at the "remedial middle school" level. Either way, Statistics and Advanced Calculus will prevent me from getting my degree for a while as I work my way *back* to that level of math competency. Of course there is a handy aspect to that: I have time to work on an English degree and improve my writing skills. After all, my dream is for IT to be the fall-back career.

Time to hit the books and Blackboard.

No comments: