Thursday, August 16, 2007

Critter Updates

Periodically I try to throw a few "critter pix" up here and let you know what beasties we've spotted here recently.

Yesterday one of the neighborhood cats (I don't think he's feral, but can't be sure) came through the yard twice. You'd think after Boots chased him up the tree and out of the yard the first time he'd get the idea, but no. So, Boots chased him again. I haven't seen him today.

A couple months ago we had a problem with which I was very familiar while living in Manassas: baby robins. The robins here are a bit more drab than back home: no ruby breasts, just brown. They also seem to sing less, although their calls have a bit more of an exotic sound to me. In any case, a pair decided to have a nest in one of the trees in our yard. I have no problem with robins, so that's fine by me. One day Boots and I go out into the yard and what does she spy with her little eye? Birdies! Charge! Normal birds are not a problem. They are plenty fast to elude our old dog. Two of the three fledglings managed to fly up into the tree. The other did a 90 degree turn and flew across the yard and landed in the grass. Dumb birdie. Boots pretty much had it caught and I had to scold her to get her away from it. I then had to herd the blasted beast into the hedges where it could hide. Meanwhile the parents have started their strafing runs, so I have to watch my head.

If only the story ended there, but no, this last little birdie didn't build up enough strength to fly UP into the tree for several days. Every day I'd have to be careful letting Boots out and periodically shoo the baby into safety. Our dog became rather neurotic. She was afraid of going outside and doing her business in the yard because she might get yelled at. She was thoroughly confused. Finally, after nearly a week, the baby managed to get up into the tree and out of our hair. Here's a snapshot of the darling little monster:


Interestingly enough, we had another nest in the same tree, but one I was never able to locate. Apparently the local hummingbirds built a nest in our yard. I was sure of this when I repeatedly spotted one or both parents perched in the tree over my head, "scolding" me with little "tsk tsk tsk" sounds. I did manage to get a few decent shots of both feeding and scolding. I'm actually rather proud these turned out. I've found that getting shots with a digital camera takes a bit more patience in some respects (re: blog posting about a butterfly (Oct. 26)). The delay between pushing the button and the actual picture sometimes means the difference between a good shot and a useless one. The actual, non-chopped-for-the-web shots include more background, particularly the flower.




Our other beasts are well known to just about everyone this time of year: cicadas. They have been emerging from the ground for a couple months, but more heavily in recent weeks. I've found the shells scattered around my patio, as well as wings from those unfortunate enough to be caught by the local birds. Here are a few shots, first of a few shells, then an "occupied" shell (tried for a before and after shot, but a bird snatched the un-emerged cicada while I was away), and finally an adult.




Thankfully I haven't had encounters with any scorpions or tarantulas, both of which have been reported by other consulate families here.

No comments: