Monday, September 11, 2006

No, I didn't consciously choose September 11 to start this blog. Although I'm sure politics will crop up from time to time here, today probably won't be one of them (no promises). I have no special plans for the day to personally commemorate the event, but it's nearly impossible not to remember the day.

I was working at my (then) new job, having started nearly a month prior at AHC, Inc. in Manassas. Although audio-visual equipment wasn't specifically listed as part of my support work, I was attempting my best to weed through the cables and connections to get the big screen TV and VCR working for a marketing department employee. The issue was complicated by the absence of some other components and a non-functional satellite system that was still connected. After a few minutes, I managed to get audio, at which point we heard something about a plane striking one of the Twin Towers. At this point I was urged to get the video working, and did. Several others gathered around to watch the unfolding events for a few minutes and a manager came by to say that the TV in the lunch room was showing it, too.

I spent the next several hours, even after the staff was officially dismissed, attempting to get any additional solid information from the internet (pretty fruitless) and talking to my co-worker in the Florida office, Mike. I served six years in the infantry, VA National Guard, and Mike was a former Army nurse and medic. It was a scary, almost surreal day. Later that evening, with serious thoughts of reenlisting going through my head, I spent some time listening to music such as Gordon Lightfoot's "Protocol" and Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms," while embibing too much bourbon. Ultimately, this is what it came down to as far as personal impact: my freshman roommate from JMU was booked on the plane that hit the Pentagon. About a week prior, his boss changed the schedule and flew him to LA a week early. I didn't personally know anyone who died at any of the sites.

Five years later, do I feel safer? Safer from what? Planes used as weapons? Yes, the sheer inconvenience of air travel these days is likely to prevent that precise attack. Safer overall? No, not really. I have no confidence that the current political environment will foster better relations with those who might wish us harm, let alone prevent them. (Sorry, but I said "no promises.)

The US is an open, nearly impossible to secure environment. Remember, I lived in the region the DC Snipers stalked. One of the victims was slain about a mile from my workplace, a location I passed on my way home perhaps an hour before the crime was committed. My biggest fear at the time was that it was not home-grown lunacy. I am extremely thankful that we've had no "copy-cats" thus far. Americans are just not used to thinking in security terms. After five years, I see only limited proof of change. One good example: the tank farm on 28 in Chantilly near Dulles Airport finally got some limited protection. How many others out there are unsecured and easy targets?

In closing, if you have any opinion on the current state of affairs in our nation and our world, do the one thing that you can do to make a difference: VOTE.

No comments: