Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Colibrí, picaflor, chupaflor - 3 words for our visitor
The hummingbird returned again today. Yesterday he (or she, I have no idea) buzzed in, sampled a few flowers, and buzzed out, as usual. Today was different.

I was connecting the garden hose to water a few potted plants, including the flowers the hummingbird likes, when I saw noticed him. He didn't hit the flowers because our dog was basking in the afternoon sun a few feet away, something she enjoys more and more as she gets older. Instead our resident helicopter perched himself on a branch in a nearby tree and watched Boots. I stopped in my tracks and remained still. I have never seen a hummingbird perched. They've always seemed to be, well, flighty. The slightest movement or disturbance will see them whizzing away into the blue.

A few moments later, Boots shook her head and half-arose, apparently irritated by a fly or mosquito, before flopping back down in the grass. The hummingbird rose off his perch, hovering, then moved to a new perch about six inches from the first and resumed his observation. Since he seemed to be ignoring me, I carefully dropped the hose and lowered myself to the tiles, watching our guest all the while. I sat this way, trying my best to memorize features, the better to find out exactly what species our guest is. (Note: I spent a while on rubythroat.org and couldn't decide. I guess I'll have to get a photo of the beastie!)

Unfortunately I didn't have either the camera, to take a photo, or my watch, to time the event. It did last several minutes before the hummingbird stretched his wings, took flight, and quickly left the yard.

Boots, the great hunter that she is, never noticed, and that's just fine.

No comments: