Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Lizards in Love and other beasties
Today I thought I'd add a little wildlife. There isn't a lot of it here. I spotted a hummingbird visiting our flowerpots again today (second or third time now). Boots is very disappointed that there are no bunnies, birdies, or squirrels in her yard to chase. A few birds visit our yard, but don't hang around for long. We've seen one baby oppossum while walking Boots (I'm sure she thought it was a rat) and one squirrel while hiking Chipinque, a local park. Thankfully she hasn't shown a lot of interest thus far in what is here: lizards and butterflies.

This was the first anole (often called chameleon) we spotted, and the largest yet. The body is probably about 5" or so long, with a longer tail.



A day or two later, Boots alerted me to something odd. She was sitting in front of the sliding glass door to the patio, drooling and making nose prints. I looked and only saw what I initially took for a few dead leaves, until they moved. The big anole was back, and had a "friend." I didn't want to interrupt them (how would you feel about some guy with a camera?), so I didn't get too close for the picture.



It's probably a coincidence, but a few weeks later, I spot this little guy and one other in one of our bushes. Body: about 1-1.5".



Soon after, we started spotting our nocturnal visitors: geckos. We've seen up to four at a time. This one was spotted eating a moth on our porch wall. I've seen geckos from about 1.5" body to 5" body. They remind me of those rubbery toys that you hurl against a wall and they stick.



Here are a few butterfly shots Emily took while we hiked on Chipinque. There's a butterfly garden there full of flowers.



No comments: