Monday, September 18, 2006

Idle readings
Upon first arriving in Monterrey, I suddenly found myself with a little time on my hands. I turned to reading, as I often have in the past. Now that I'm starting college classes again, not to mention catching up on episodes of Stargate and Atlantis, I expect I'll be reading for pleasure a great deal less.

Here is the list of books I have read since I arrived in mid-July:
  • Peter F. Hamilton Night's Dawn Trilogy (re-read, actually: Reality Disfunction, Neutronium Alchemist, The Naked God) & A Second Chance at Eden (related short stories), The Commonwealth Saga (Pandora's Planet & Judas Unchained); still have to read his Mispent Youth.
  • Robert Jordan Wheel of Time series, books 1 - 7 (The Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, The Dragon Reborn, The Shadow Rising, Fires in Heaven, Lord of Chaos, A Crown of Swords).
  • Walter Wangerin, Jr The Book of the Dun Cow
I also read some sample chapters from some of R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt books, trying to remember which book I last read (definitely read The Thousand Orcs, possibly The Lone Drow).

I'm also reading Wade Davis' One River at the rate of a score pages or so a day.

People often ask what I'm doing with my time, seeing as how I'm a kept man and all. In addition to the above, I read a number of comics nearly every day: Washington Post political cartoons, Bo Nanas, Candorville, Non Sequitur, On the Fastrack, Red and Rover, Sherman's Lagoon, Zits, and, of course, Dilbert. I check out CNN.com and Washingtonpost.com several times a day, use Google News some, and graze a bit at Newslinx.com several times a week.

I also stream NPR news via WETA-FM in Washington, DC, of which Emily and I are proud members.

No comments: