Sunday, December 10, 2006

Alan Parsons Project - Live in Monterrey
Last night Emily and I went to see Alan Parsons Project. It was a good show. The band played a bunch of the old hit songs, with a couple I didn't know, at least one of which is from a new CD (A Valid Path) which was nominated for a Grammy (Best Surround Sound Album? I didn't know they had that category). I was disappointed not to hear one of my favorites: Days are Numbers (The Traveller). They did play my other favorite, Old and Wise, a song I always envision being used at a memorial service for someone who died tragically young. A few songs I didn't anticipate hearing, but did, include The Raven and (The System of) Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether. I guess I should have figured on it, though, since they "rock" a bit more than some of the other tunes.

If we had only known how lax things are here, we'd have taken our digital camera AND camcorder. I kid you not, we saw both in use, not to mention dozens and dozens of camera cell phones. At least then I'd have some royalty-free pictures to post!

The funniest thing was that Emily and I pegged the lead vocalist identically: he looked like he should be fronting for Guns N Roses! The drummer looked a bit hard-core for the band, too, and the bassist definitely looked a little on the young side. Then again, it's not like APP had a solid lineup through the years. A quick glance at the two-CD The Definitive Collection shows sixteen (16) different lead vocalists! Last night's singer had a few minor problems hitting the "quiet" voice often used in APP songs and definitely had a "rock" voice. He was dressed in tennis shoes, black leather pants, a flannel shirt, and a dew-rag. The guitarist, keyboard/synth guy, and, of course, Alan Parsons himself were all old enough to look as if they belonged in the band. Go here to see the band's bio. I did enjoy the fact that all six members of the band not only sang harmony parts, but each took lead on at least one song.

My only question is, what the heck were the locals chanting when they were trying to get the band out for an encore? I think it was, "Claro claro claro" over and over. That word is used widely for an affirmative "of course", "I understand", and "clear" so it makes some sense.

My only complaints were:
1) Cost. It was a fairly expensive show, particularly outside of the US & EU. There were quite a few empty seats. This did result in us getting "promoted" into better seats, along with many others. Can't complain about that.
2) Temperature. It was cold in that auditorium! My guess is that they generally don't need heat in there and so they never installed it. Given recent temps in the 40s here (unseasonably cold, we're assured), they need it now.

No comments: