Thursday, October 19, 2006

Studunce

I took my first exam yesterday, for an English class (Applied Grammar). It was easy and I scored a 97. Now if only the rest of the exams are that simple....

Although I'm still trying to get into the whole "back to class full-time" thing, little by little it's beginning to click. Motivation has always been my chief problem as a student, not ability. I'm far too easily distracted - oh, look! The laundry is piling up! Emily might need those pants tomorrow, so I'd better get right on it! And just look at those dishes! They won't wash themselves!

Right. Reality is, Emily told me not to worry about the housework. Problem is, I can't NOT worry about it. I'm by no means a neat-freak, but if I see that things are getting out of hand, I have to deal with it.

Then there's the siren call of reading for pleasure... well, I've nearly given that up. I think I've only read one book (Peter F. Hamilton's Misspent Youth) since I started classes in earnest.

In the past I've envied Emily's ability to put the rest of the world on hold, or at least auto-pilot, while she concentrates on something. I've also found it incredibly frustrating as the spouse on the receiving end. I watched her do this with occasional college classes, several certifications, work-related tasks - all while I tried my best to keep things from falling apart.

I'd give nearly anything to be able to emulate her now, but I'm just not wired that way.

Oh, and if you didn't read yesterday's Dilbert, you missed a good thing. :-)

No comments: