Friday, October 27, 2006

Descent into the Hole
This morning I caught a ride to the Consulate and took another exam. I also dropped off a package to my brother (containing his license of f-secure 2006 - I forgot to install it on his PC before I came down and his license had expired) and several pre-stamped and addressed envelopes for future Spanish exams. Emily persuaded me to go to lunch with her and another couple at the Hole.

Why is it called the Hole? Well, no one knows its real name, it's just a hole in the wall. There is no sign, other than a sandwich sign listing the types of food prepared. This is about as Mexican as you can get. It appears to have orginally been a carport or garage. There is a narrow balcony overhead for additional seating, some small plastic tables and chairs, a counter, a stove, a cooler for drinks, and precious little else. Two middle-aged ladies cook the food and collect the money in a tiny, tiny space. You eat off real plates with real forks. You eat whatever they've prepared that day. Today they had prepared enchiladas con queso and some sort of pork dish. Emily did the ordering while I held down the table and we both got enchiladas, refritos (refried beans), and rice. The enchiladas were mild, but good. The beans were a bit runny, but okay. The rice was the best I've had here yet. It wasn't the texture but the taste: a bit peppery, zesty, very tasty. I washed it all down with a Coke. I believe the total was $4 (that is, forty pesos) each.

If I can find out an actual name or determine the street address (it's on Ocampo, not far from the Consulate), I'll post it.

Post exam follow-up: I arrived home via taxi to find that the professor had already graded my exam. I had a couple grammatical mistakes (no surprise - I rushed - but ones I normally would've caught). I received an 89. If that was strictly for grammar, I'll be more careful in future. If it was for content, as I suspect, I'm a bit irritated. I think the teacher graded not based on the "exam prep" page, but on additional criteria not specified. Grr. Live and learn, I suppose. I emailed my thoughts on the matter to the professor. Perhaps she'll revise her documentation so future students won't make the same mistake.

No comments: