Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Rippin' good time

Tonight I've completed an important pre-move task: ripping all our music CDs to MP3s. I've been working on it off-and-on for over a week now and I'm done (barring the discovery of a few loose discs buried in a drawer or something). I haven't done a disc count yet (I'll post one soon), but it amounted to 34 GB on a new external drive purchased just for music and iTunes.

Why? As a part of our "weight-reduction" plan (a household effects diet?), we're not going to take the physical discs to Albania with us. The discs will go to storage (so we're still legal) and the MP3s and iTunes' TV shows will travel.

2 comments:

Curt Sawyer said...

We're working on doing the same thing. We already pitched all the jewel cases and put the CDs into those big CD books before we moved in November, but we haven't gotten all of them onto the computer yet. Slowly working through it.

Trailing Male said...

We may go the CD book route yet, on the theory that the book will weigh less in storage than the cases.

We're nervous about our shipping weight, so we're paring down where we can. I'm de-geeking quite a bit, donating my server and all its spare parts to charity (@ 100 pounds of stuff right there).