Friday, February 22, 2008

Just a quick plug

I just wanted to give a quick plug to WUWM (University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee) radio, both NPR and, more importantly perhaps, WUWM2 "The Deuce." The NPR side of things has allowed Emily and I to keep in touch (in the same time zone) with current news. "The Deuce," WUWM's HD channel, is also broadcast on the web and has proven a godsend for us. We've been introduced to so much good music through this one station. I've been working my way through the MySpace pages for a number of bands this evening:
Silver Seas
Standfast
The Weepies
Midlake
Persephone's Bees

And probably my favorite band for the past... maybe five years?... Hem. I managed to catch three of their four DC-area shows before we moved to Mexico. I even bought tickets for an NYC show at the Lincoln Center, but had to sell the tickets (thanks, Craigstlist!) when Emily got her dream job with the Foreign Service (worth the loss, believe me). If you listen and like their music, I recommend you sign up on their list. I've gotten links to MP3s of various songs over the last few years as freebies.

We've bought at least two CDs based on music heard on WUWM's Cafe Tonight or The Deuce in the last year:
Brett Dennan
Carbon Leaf *

I encourage you to tune in to WUWM and The Deuce and take a listen. WUWM introduced me to another program I hadn't experienced in the DC area: Alternative Radio. Not all of the programs are of interest to me, but some are so I try my best to remember to tune in at 8 PM (CT) on Sundays.

* How odd that I'd hear a band from my home state (Virginia) for the first time over the internet from a Wisconsin radio station, while living in Mexico!

No comments: